Saturday, November 22, 2008

Throwing down the proverbial sword.

I realized this morning that, after the goings-on of last year or so, I am tired. Tired, not so much physically, although that may be so as well, but emotionally. Just worn out, and with no patience or enthusiasm for even the slightest verbal fencing match. I hereby throw down my sword.

I'm considering having little cards printed up, (or, given the snow-covered state of the roads this morning, perhaps breaking out the Avery packet and printing my own), that will say something like the following:

"You're right. I am (check all that apply):
  • unreasonable
  • overly analytical
  • illogical
  • stingy
  • wasteful
  • selfish
  • stupid
  • belittling
  • plotting
  • manipulative
  • irresponsible
  • delusional
  • unhelpful
  • self-indulgent
  • thoughtless
  • untruthful
  • unappreciative
  • sloppy
  • disorganized
  • and just generally a bitch of the first water"
I shall have a pocketful of these cards - maybe even have little pencils to go with them, like you get at mini-golf places - and whenever someone starts to pick a fight with me or object to whatever I seem to be planning, instead of rising to the occasion I will simply hand them a card, smile politely, and drift off into the crowd.

And for anyone who is wondering what they can then do with the card - and then pencil - well, do I really need to explain?


No comments: