Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I was wrong - I LOVE parties!!

It's the people I can't stand. I love the prep, the cooking of fun stuff, the decorating, and all the fuss. I'm right there, right up until the people arrive.

Okay, I was good for a while even after that. I was up on the deck turning out hamburgers and hot dogs, and the salads and condiments were all in place. I was good. Then the people decided it would be nice to interact with me, for cryin' out loud.

I tented my remaining food, turned off my burners and declared my work finished. John can take over with overseeing the bonfire and the fireworks (!) while I retreat to the safety of the house.

After a while, I may put in a brief appearance to bring out the Congratulations Alex! cake. Then I'm slinking off inside and staying there. My kids are 20 almost and 18 - surely they can police their own buddies, fold up the leftover food, etc. And I can get at least a partial night's sleep, since coming up very soon is the Herb and Flower Festival, for which I must cook (herb shortbread - yay!) and make a centerpiece and tote the tables around in the pick-up.

That's to look forward to, along with all the party leftovers. It's all good, yes it is. Summer. Yes indeed.

No comments: