Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Excitement on the Hill!

Okay, kids, let this be a lesson to you: it CAN happen to you!

Getting struck by lightning, that is.

After the heat (up to 94 degrees, which is unheard of in Central New York) of the last few days, we're supposed to be getting a cooler spell, ushered in by strong storms. Okay, a little thunder, some far away lightning, maybe a stiff breeze or two.

Not.

Winds up to 80 mph (didn't see them, but I'd estimate 60 mph here, briefly), 2 1/2 inch hail (didn't see that either, for which I and all the little flowers I've been slaving over are grateful), and dangerous lightning. Guess I got that. Sitting in the bedroom, watching the storm come over the hill, got all pringly on the backs of my hands and WHAM! BIG CRACKING SOUND!

I thought maybe lightning had struck the big barn, which - in theory - shoiuld be okay since there are these really cool lightning rods all down the roof of it. Still, when the rain let up a bit I thought I'd look outside. I opened the back door and the tree that sticks up through the deck is split down one side - the side nearest the house. *cough*

John just came in holding big pieces of wood that were blown out of the tree - the bark is totally off, totally smooth.

The lightning that struck the tree also fused - FUSED - the wiring on that side of the house at the outside outlet (forget that electric fence)- there's no electricity from the dining room on. I'm hoping it just tripped a breaker rather than frying all my wiring.

The interesting thing to consider is that my daughter's bedroom is on that side of the house, and if she'd been sitting in her bed doing computer stuff, as usual, the lightning would have been five or six feet from her head.

Gratitude - and possibly homeowners' insurance - may be in order.

Pictures as soon as possible - have to wait for the rain to stop.

No comments: